Friday, January 14, 2011

100 Gratitudes: A New Year's Project 13-15

Good Morning! I hope you are all doing well. This has actually been a bit of a trying week, what with the horrors of Tuscon, the destruction of the storage barn at our favorite organic farm (and provider of our CSA share), and the death of a wonderful member of our community who was also our vet and the father of one of our divine babysitters. She called me yesterday morning, right after he had passed and the grief in her voice was overwhelming. I have been so sad for her, her brother and their whole family. What has been amazing is the way our community has come together to support each other through the loss of this friend. So with that in mind....

13) My community. I am so grateful to live in a town where people are beholden to each other, and far from resenting it, they revel in it. There are arguments, and the usual petty disagreements of course, but I am proud to a member of what really feels like a team. It is really, the most amazing community, Zach and I talk about how lucky we are all the time.

The picture below is from the elementary school lantern parade, right before the solstice. Several hundred schoolkids, the entire faculty, hundred of parents, all carrying hand made lanterns led by a raucous Brazilian Drum band marching through town to the green and back on street lined with community supporters. Pictures were hard to get because I didn't want to miss a moment of this magical event. The line of lanterns was endless, there was a light snow falling, and it was the perfect way to welcome back the sun as it turns it's light back toward the north. The best part was that everyone I saw that night really GOT what a special place this town is. It was radiating from all of us.


#14)
Fresh, locally grown food. I love the anticipation of seeing what will be in my CSA share every week. I love getting our meat from a farm I love to visit. I am grateful beyond words to have fresh food at my disposal, and to be able to feed my family without worry about where the next meal will come from.

#15)
Masterpiece Theatre. I love a good costume drama! I am girly that way.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments: